The orthodoxy appeared in Hungary when religious Jews had been feared that their tradition could be in danger in the modern society. These circumstances leaded to the Teilung (division) in Hungary in 1868-69, two years later the orthodox organisation was recognized by the state. Although, the centre was established in Budapest, the main communities worked out of the capital.
As the migration of the orthodox Jews had intensified from the countryside to the capital, the Budapest Orthodox Community had improved by the beginning of the 20s century. The biggest orthodox community lived here: businessmen, retailers, artisans, tradesmen, employees, personnels. Cca. 50% of the jewish population were orthodox till 1920. Two famous personalities represented the community at the period of between worldwars: Jakob Koppel Reich chiefrabbi and community president; additionally, Abraham Freundiger, a member at the Upper House in the Hungarian Parlament.
The orthodox communities in countryside suffered big losses in 1944-45, then it continued by the emigration of survivors from the socialist era by the mid-1950s.
The Orthodox Community reorganized in Hungary in 1993 and the total independence was in 2012 as a recognized historical church.
The community keeps on educational institutions, synagogues, shtiebels, rest home, mikveh and cemeteries. It is ensuring the kashrut for all jewish people and its organizations in Hungary.