Address: 1066 Budapest, Dessewffy street 23
Shaliach Tzibbur: György Rosenberg
Sachrit: weekdays: 7 am, Saturday: 9 am
The eldest and constantly working orthodox prayer-room in the capital city of Hungary was opened in 1870 after reconstructing it from a horse stable, which after construction was used as a headquarter for Bikur Cholim – mainly caring for the sick of the community. Seven years the Nyugati railway station was built ( 1877 ), so in the beginning it was called the Porters’ or Carriers’ Synagogue, additionally ‘Red Caps Synagogue’ since they wore a typical red hat, workers from the railway station visited the synagogue often, because it was so close. After the turn of the 20. century the upscale middle class started coming to the synagogue because of mass urbanization. The building housed also the Sick Fund and Selfaid Society of the Budapest Public Servants’ Industrial Association.
Nowadays, the synagogue is used by Tikva Kolel orthodox educational program.